Wednesday, August 26, 2026

granny hobby.

Currently reading Time Anxiety by Chris Guillebeau because I have been feeling extreme anxiousness from feeling that I am always lagging behind and not having enough time to complete my list of tasks and ending up procrastinating because of my tendency to be avoidant whenever such feelings surface. 

I would like to write more about this in future after I have taken some time to process the tips.

I am currently at a chapter (Chapter 15) and it says that "granny hobbies" e.g. knitting, gardening and colouring etc. are associated with cognitive improvements related to both memory and attention and a reduction in symptoms of anxiety and depression. 

Here is a list of granny hobbies they had listed:

"quilting, birdwatching, puzzling, candle making, flower art, genealogy, cooking, calligraphy, knitting or crocheting, photography, woodworking, pottery or ceramics, drawing, gardening, board or card games, mahjong, scrapbooking, sewing, reading, journaling, collecting, baking, needlepoint, crafting, and painting."

As I was reading the list, I found many of those activities listed are things that I enjoy doing. In fact, I used to be able to set aside time to sit down. I don't even know how I was able to set aside more than 3 hours back in my university days just to travel all the way to the pottery jungle and have my pottery class. Nowadays, the thought of leaving home for any activity kills me. 

The only thing that I am able to set aside time to do now from the above list is reading and journaling. Actually, I had a dry spell in June and July where I had no motivation to read and journal because I was spiralling, mainly from anxiety coming from my severe eye condition and from anxiety stemming from travelling. Once those events have passed, I am now able to breathe finally and continue reading again. 

I am going to get back to my book now and hopefully I can finish this book by tomorrow because I really want to start on Atmosphere by Taylor Jenkins Reid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment