Saturday, September 26, 2020

mini heart attack at work.

I had a mini heart attack at work yesterday.

It was Saturday, and I was going to head out, when I received a message by my manager to check my weekly report. Told him I could only be home in the afternoon to check the mistake because I had already stepped out of home. 

Came home in the afternoon, only to realise multiple files on our shared drive are gone. We have shifted from a common server to windows share point, which has its pros and cons. Pros - people are able to edit concurrently. Previously, we can only edit one at a time, and there is a lot of waiting time. And we can't see real-time changes. Cons - because it works like a cloud platform, it takes time to sync, and often there are syncing issues. 

I thought it was a problem with my account, so I foolishly told my manager it might be my account's syncing issues which caused the problem. There were at least a hundred files missing. Then I headed to the cloud's recycle bin, and saw one of my office auntie mass deleting stuff. It's not the first time this happened. The previous time only a couple of files got deleted by her so I quickly retrieved it. This time it was around 5000 files!! I faster took photos of the mistake because I thought it was my fault and it wasn't. It's likely an issue with her account syncing problems, causing so many files to be oddly deleted. (And I was afraid that my manager would blame me since I stupidly told him it was my account's problem initially.)

It really gave me hard attack because years of files are being deleted. I have escalated the problem to ICT team but they have yet to get back to me. And some of my colleagues and friends told me that I shouldn't interfere and recover the files, but let ICT team find out the root cause. 

But wow I was really so so scared. Hope we can resolve this issue asap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment