Wednesday, July 26, 2023

on singlehood.

Oh wow it's been forever since I last wrote here. 

It's currently 10.16pm and I have a lot of thoughts in my head, so decided to drop by this space. 

This year, many of my friends are getting married. I don't usually care about such stuff, but I realised I'm probably the only person left who is unattached...? I don't really care about it, but recently it has been getting on my nerves on what others are trying to do.

People have been trying to force me to go onto dating apps or introducing people to me. I know they do it out of good intention, but I wish they would stop being pushy about it. I am not one who likes to be forced to be in awkward situations. I really really hate being in the presence of strangers. There are friends who are nice enough to ask me if it's ok for them to introduce me to people and when I reject, they nicely back off and I appreciate it.

But recently there's someone who has been forcing me to go onto dating apps and even snatching my phone to create a dating profile for me (I managed to snatch my phone back before it happened thank goodness) and even telling me shit stuff like, "By next week I must see your dating app profile and that you must start talking to people."

Who are you to tell me what to do? Why do you think that just because you are in a relationship you are better than me? I have clearly expressed many times about how uncomfortable I am and I am not ready for a relationship and I am HAPPY with where I am at now. Why do people not get it? I get that as females, our biological clocks have an expiry date to it. But see, if I am really afraid and desperate to get married, I would have been on the app long ago. 

Why do nobody believe it when I say I am really glad to be single????? There are times when I make jokes like "Aiyah next time I can't get married" or "Nobody wants me lah" etc. but all these are just jokes. I really do not care. I don't know how many more times must I explain myself but I am really annoyed and I wish people would just respect my views.

This said friend even had the cheek to tell me that I will be taking up people's leftovers and getting the lousy guys on the app if I don't start now. This is really really very rude to people who are unattached, insinuating that perhaps single people or rather I, have issues, that's why I am single. 

I would like to emphasise once again I am contented with my life right now. Sure, there are times when I am lonely but this loneliness does not compel me to want to be in a relationship. I don't think I am mature enough to handle a relationship at this point of my life. Perhaps in a year or two, I would be ready, or perhaps never. Not everyone has to end up with a soul mate and not everyone's red string of fate is tied to another person's finger. I appreciate the concern, really, but please just respect me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment