Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Day 1: The best thing that happened to me in 2020.


Rare moment that I have exercised and showered before 1am, so I'm sitting down to pen this down. Saw this on mothership and thought I would try (note: TRY) to do this challenge daily to reflect on this year. 

Today's prompt is "The best thing that happened to you this year". 

I realised that I don't really reflect much about my life. But I guess one of the better things that happened to me this year, is also due to the worst thing that happened this year -- to be able to work from home this year, but due to COVID. 

I guess at this point of time, everyone who has been reading my blog for the past few months, are so damn sick of me talking about how much I love being at home and working from home due to covid. But really, I really am very grateful to be in an organisation that is very understanding, and granting us to work from home. It really came as a shock, because everyone has this impression that Japanese organisations have a very workaholic style, and would demand the highest efficiency in work. However, I guess, the reputation of the company is more important now haha. It would probably be very embarrassing if someone catches covid in the company and it spreads to others. 

Working from home allows me to be able to sleep in more. I used to wake up at 6+am for work, because travelling time is around 50 mins to 1 hour, factoring in the time taken to walk. And I have to wake up earlier than my mum so that our timing to use the toilet will not clash. Now, I can sleep in till 8.30am, 8.50am the latest. The best part is that I can take a nap after having lunch because I have pretty long lunch hours and there's always spare time to sleep.

Of course there are downsides to working from home, i.e. I'm so sick of being stuck at home with my dad 24/7 because he breeds negativity, but as long as I stay in my haven aka my room, and try my best not to argue back when he says some shitty stuff, things are bearable. The pros outweigh the cons. 

Yeah, the best thing that happened to me this year is to be able to work from home, and I hope that my company would explore the options of granting employees to work from home occasionally in a post-covid situation.

Yet, I am also damn sick of the restrictions in life due to covid. We all could be travelling now, we all could be mingling with friends or families, we all could be able to walk freely without masks. 

The best thing that happened to me in 2020 isn't anything exciting or interesting. I'm such a boring person oh my this says a lot about me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment