Thursday, December 10, 2020

Day 9: One thing I miss from pre-covid days.

Travelling. Definitely travelling. 

I think I'm an ill-fated girl who has no fate with travelling. I think I haven't travelled properly ever since I got a job.

In 2018, I was lucky enough to be able to go on 2 grad trips (Japan and Korea) before starting work. 

When I started working, it was mid-December. The probation duration was 3 months, and hence I couldn't take any leave during that period. When I was done with probation, it was almost Christmas and the end of the year, so I carried forward my leave to 2019. I did not have that many leave after pro-rating it anyway. I carried over a grand total of 4 days of annual leave. 

In 2019, the only trip I had planned was Korea in October. I was in Korea and got to spend 1 full day there, before learning that my grandmother had passed away and immediately flew back home. Till this day, my family still laughs at this. We always jokingly say that my grandma played tricks on me and my mum, allowing us to only spend one day in Korea. (and hence, Korea is now a place with bittersweet memories for me.)

In 2020, I had wanted to go to Japan/Korea/Taiwan, but Covid struck and now I'm stuck in Singapore. 

The worst thing is, the situation does not seem to be getting any better. There are countries that are experience there 3rd or even 4th waves now. Things are getting out of hand, and I don't think that we will get to travel till 2022. 

I miss experiencing different cultures, visiting scenic places, experiencing other seasons like spring, autumn and winter. I miss trying different cuisines. I miss the feeling of checking in to a hotel and be like "hell yeah I'm in a different country now". I miss taking planes and staying up late when everyone is sleeping on the plane and be like "no I did not pay money to just sleep on the plane. I gotta enjoy the whole in-flight experience." 

When will we get to travel?? 

The first destination on my list is Japan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment