Friday, December 4, 2020

Day 4: A recipe you tried over circuit breaker in 2020.

Circuit breaker was the time that everyone became masterchefs at home. I too, pretended I was masterchef.

You can read about my adventures in the following posts, where I crowned myself as #KwokDonRamsay (get it get it):
- #KwokDonRamsay EP 1: making poached eggs
- #KwokDonRamsay EP 2: making army stew

Other than these, I also tried to make matcha mochi muffins HAHAHA FML IT WAS A DISASTER.

Basically, the key ingredient here is mochiko / glutinous rice flour, to give it the mochi texture. Of course, you'll need matcha powder, egg, sugar etc. I can't remember where I got the recipe from. 

As you know, recipes usually would indicate that "oh this recipe will make xx number of muffins". The recipe I got said it would make 24 (if I remember correctly) muffins and I was like NAHHH I don't need so many muffins. I'm just trying. Plus, I secretly used my mum's expensive matcha powder so I didn't dare to use too much in case she caught me in the act LOL. Being a smart alec, I did some quick maths using ratio LOL and changed the measurements to suit the number of muffins I wanted. I 1/3 everything, because I only wanted 8 muffins. 


Anyway, I got the batter done and I was so excited!! I was like HELL YEAH I'M A MASTERCHEF I'M GONNA GET YUMMY MATCHA MOCHI MUFFINS. 

This is where hell broke loose. The muffins started rising into weird shapes HAHAHA I think I filled too much batter into each hole. AND THEY WERE ALL RISING LOPSIDED. 


And the disaster continues. WHAT ON EARTH WERE THESE SHAPES HAHAHAHA. I really 哭笑不得 when I saw this happening. 

/div>

The muffins were done. HAHAHAHA. Taste test verdict: It was very very chewy. Actually I have nothing to gauge it against with because I've never actually tasted matcha mochi muffins. But honestly the mochi texture was quite nice. Just that it could be me altering the recipe, hence it wasn't as sweet as I wanted it to be, and there was too much mochi going on. And it was DRY. TOO DRY. But perhaps this is how mochi muffins are supposed to taste like?? Still clueless till this date. 


How it looks like before I broke into it. Looks decent actually, but evidently, I had poor control over the temperature of the oven, hence the sides turned out too crispy HAHAHA. And honestly, I've no idea why there are black bits. Undissolved matcha powder?? The black bits still remain as a mystery as to what they are actually are.

Observed the next day and I didn't laosai, so I guess I didn't fail entirely HAHA. My dad actually ate 3 or 4 of it. Oh and even after I 1/3 the ingredients, I didn't get 8 muffins, but got around 12-14 pieces LOL WTH. Think my muffin pan is standard sized though. 

But ah wells, I will try to bake these again, because I still have a lot of glutinous rice flour leftover, and my mum is nagging at me to finish it. 

Hope you had a great laugh at how disastrous the muffins look like HAHA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment